Low FODMAP Beef Stroganoff
As the fall is coming in quick (at least here in the northern hemisphere) it is the perfect time to make a big bowl of Low FODMAP pasta.
This Low FODMAP Stroganoff is the perfect comfort food, quick and easy to make any day of the week. It can also be made in larger portions and frozen for one of those days where you just need something quick but don’t feel like cooking.
This is a perfect beefy and creamy sauce absolutely packed with flavour. Both the stock and the fond that forms in the pan from cooking the beef and mushrooms help add a deep flavour. The mustard is the final touch that helps bring this sauce together. You also get this lovely fresh balance of acid by using Crème Fraiche rather than cream, this helps to keep the sauce from getting too full and rich.
Beef and Mushrooms
Mushrooms is one of those things that are hard (almost impossible) to fit into a low FODMAP diet. There is as far as We know only one exception to that, and that is the oyster mushroom. You can have a fair bit of oyster mushrooms per serving while still keeping it low FODMAP (75 Grams per serving as of 2022-09-13, double check with the MONASH APP to be sure)
This dish is ideal to make with a high quality cut of beef to get it really tender and nice. We however decided to make this a cheaper dish by using a lower grade cut of beef (Topside/Rump Steak depending on where you are from). This works perfectly fine to save a bit of money compared to using something like a Sirloin or Tenderloin
The cooking process
This dish is fairly straightforward and quick to make. All you need to do is to sear the mushrooms and beef in a pan. After that you sprinkle on some of the gluten free AP flour mix and let that cook for a couple of minutes. If you don’t let it cook you will end up with a very raw and starchy tasting flour, simply letting it cook for 1-2 minutes will prevent this. When you add the beef broth you need to make sure to deglaze the bottom of the pan properly to get all of the flavour into the sauce. Do this by simply adding the stock in and making sure to scrape off/ dissolve all the bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
The only things left is basically to add mustard and crème fraiche to the pan to form the sauce. If you end up with too thick of a sauce you can simply add a splash of water until the sauce reaches a thickness that you like. Finish it off by seasoning with some salt and pepper as needed.
If you liked this recipe
Low FODMAP Beef Stroganoff
- 450 Grams Steak or other Beef
- 200 Grams Oyster Mushrooms
- 450 ML Low FODMAP Beef or Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 3 tbsp Gluten Free AP Flour mix
- 150 ml Lactose free Crème Fraiche 30%+ Fat content to be able to cook it
- 1 tbsp Oil for cooking
- 1 pinch Salt & Pepper to taste
- Slice the beef into thin strips and season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Set aside
- Clean the mushrooms and cut any dry ends off. Cut or rip the mushrooms into smaller bits. Size should be "bite size" but whatever size you prefer works.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
- Sear the mushrooms in the pan until nice and golden. Set aside for later.
- Sear the beef in the pan, when its nice and browned reduce the heat to medium.
- Sprinkle the flour over the beef and mix well. Let the beef and flour cook for 1-2 minutes to prevent the "raw flour" taste.
- Add in the cooked mushrooms, stock, mustard and Crème fraiche. Cook for around 5 minutes until the sauce is nice and thickened
- Cook the your choice of pasta according to the package instructions and serve with the stroganoff.