Low FODMAP Noodle and Prawn Bowl
This is one of my absolute favourite bowls that I order from a local restaurant for lunch. I just had to adapt to be suitable for a low FODMAP diet and share it with you.
This is a very simple bowl, quick to make, incredibly fresh and packed with flavour.
Try to get as good quality prawns as possible, preferably fresh ones over frozen. The freshest and best way would be if you buy them whole and prepare them yourself. But buying them prepared is perfectly good too.
Roasting the broccoli brings a nice crisp and toasted flavour to the bowl. It is as simple as cutting the broccoli into smaller bits and removing the stem. Tossing it in olive oil, salt and pepper and roasting it in the oven at 200C until its nice and browned (depending on the oven, 15-ish minutes).
Prepping glass noodles
Cook according to the packaging. The ones I used said to bring water to the boil, add the noodles in and let sit for 5 minutes. I did this and then transferred the noodles into a bowl of ice water to cool it down.
Edamame aka soybeans is a really nice addition to almost any bowl. You can buy them frozen and keep them for when you need them. Its as simple as letting them sit in boiling water for a couple of minutes until they are defrosted.
Salad base for the bowl
You can use pretty much whichever leafy salad mix you prefer as long as the components are low FODMAP (check the Monash FODMAP App). I used a bag of mixed leaves which I topped with some grated carrot to add a nice crunch to the base.
Making the dressing is a simple as mixing the soy sauce, sesame oil and rice vinegar. You can also additionally add a few toasted sesame seeds to the dressing if you wish to.
Putting it all together
Start by placing a layer of leafy greens on the bottom of a bowl. Top this with some grated carrot for a nice crunch. Place the chilled noodles on the bed of leaves. Scatter the edamame and roasted broccoli around the pile of noodles and then top it all with the prawns. Pour over the sauce and give it a sprinkle of seasame seeds if desired.
If you liked this recipe
Low FODMAP Prawn and Noodle Bowl
- 60 grams Prawns
- 25 grams Glass noodles uncooked
- 50 grams Broccoli
- 25 grams Edamame Beans
- 1 portion Salad leaves of your choosing
- 1 small carrot
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 0,5 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Sesame Seeds
- Cut the head of broccoli into smaller pieces. Coat in olive oil, salt and pepper
- Roast in the oven at 200C until golden and crispy.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and take it off the heat. Add the noodles in and let sit for 5 minutes. Transfer the noodles to a bowl of ice cold water and let them sit and cool down while preparing the rest of the bowl.
- Grate the carrot and defrost the edamame beans.
- Place down a layer of salad greens on a bowl. Top with the grated carrots
- Add the noodles on top of the carrots. Place broccoli and edamame beans around the side of the noodles.
- Top the noodles with the prawns. Optionally chop some peanuts and sprinkle over the top for a nice crunch.
- Pour over the sauce and serve immediately.